With regard to the recent outbreak of the new coronavirus “COVID-19” and the reported cases in Italy, rest assured that the health and safety of our students is paramount. The Summer School is monitoring the situation and will continue to do that with Harvard Global Support Services over the next several weeks. I am confident that the strict containment measures imposed by the Italian government will prove effective, and anticipate that the arrival of warmer weather will ameliorate the situation in Europe. However, if the epidemic will continue and worsen, the program will be cancelled.
In the event of cancellation prior to the program start, the Summer School will refund any payments made toward the program cost, including the deposit, but not including airfare, textbooks, visa application fees, etc. I suggest that you postpone the purchase of airline tickets and other travel, and wait to purchase textbooks—do not wait to apply for a passport or visa, as these can be lengthy processes.
I will promptly inform all participants in the program of any decision or news. And of course I, like all of us, hope that this outbreak and the fears of a wider epidemic will not prevent us from going to Milan and Siena this summer as planned.